Saturday, March 24, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Newcomer: Phooey - no GUI: Installled ubunto 8.04 on a 256Meg P3 machine

 

in more detail:

Booting up just yields a black screen and no response from mouse or keyboard.

So I:
1.Ran a memory test to see if the memory was an issue. - The memory checked good. No help.
2.Booted to a command prompt with the aid of the Gnome recovery option. At this point I entered startx. A bunch of stuff flashed on the screen (at light speed) and I ended up back at the command prompt. When I rebooted (without gnome) , I ended up with same blank screen with unresponsive mouse and keyboard No help.
3.In the gnome recovery option, I choose dkpg (repair broken packages). This resulted in a series of messages that stated “failed to fetch --------”. I am stuck back at the command prompt again. No help.
4.I found some stuff on Google which I tried

sudo apt-get update (result: a bunch of error messages and a reply that I try get update)
sudo apt-get upgrade (result: a bunch of error messages and a reply that I try get update)
sudo apt-get install ubuntu desktop (result â€" it built some sort of dependency tree â€" then a bunch of error messages.) No help

I read something about acpi=off and the F6 key. I will try that nex

Thanks for your response.

Justin

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@...> wrote:
>
> On 3/23/2012 11:54 AM, justin_e_bell2000 wrote:
> > After a non-eventful install of 8.04 I boot up to a blank screen.
> >
>
> Did you try issuing the command startx ?
>
>
> --
> http://www.robertwittig.com/
> http://robertwittig.net/
> http://robertwittig.org/
> .
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment