Thursday, March 15, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Accelerated Graphics on Linux

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, c beck <usabecker@...> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Paul <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
> >
> > You run your graphics accelerated? I've never had the best of luck with ATI hardware on Linux.
> >
>
> I've been wondering about ATI acceleration lately. A Compaq/HP mini
> Tower I just got has an ATI Radeon 3100 (or a HD 3100, if you prefer
> the spec sheet over lspci). I wasn't having much luck with the open
> source driver to see video on the screen at all. Finally got the
> proprietary one installed and configured properly ( i think). I don't
> really know how to "evaluate" how well the acceleration is working.
> flgrx_gears silliness gives ~300 fps over a few minutes. I've got no
> idea what it is actually supposed to be. But some other yoker at
> least has similar:
> <http://global.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=profile&u=pete-2286-21397-9179>
>
> Doesn't seem much better (or worse) than intell integrated graphics,
> other than setup and actually getting a driver to work.
>

I have an i3 with its Intel integrated graphics and its OK. I've been looking at my options to upgrade it, but so far haven't seen anything that has sold me yet.

It was easier for me to get Intel to work accelerated than ATI hardware on that system. I had some random ATI card lying around which I plugged into it. When I finally got it to work it wasn't even as good as my integrated graphics so I removed it.

I'm looking at Nvidia hardware. While their accelerated drivers are not open source, they seem to make an effort to support Linux as best as they can to me. Are any accelerated drivers open source for modern GPUs today?

Much as I like the idea of open source I'm not going to needlessly sacrifice performance for it.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment