Monday, March 26, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Newcomer: Phooey - no GUI: Installled ubunto 8.04 on a 256Meg P3 machine

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> It is not unusual for an Ubuntu based distribution to refer to Ubuntu
> rather than Debian even though Ubuntu is a spin off of Debian.
>
> Most users not care where apt originated. They do not care about Linux and
> its history or petty turf wars. They only want to use their computers
> without hassles. When we split hairs over the wording of a review it is
> divisive and will not help Debian or hurt Ubuntu. It only confuses users.

Most users don't run Linux. I don't know how misleading anyone is going to dispel any confusion either.

>
> Although Synaptic is not included by default, apt-get is. As mentioned by
> you, Synaptic is easily installable. It is the first app that I install
> with any of the *buntus. I refuse to use SC and either use apt or Synaptic
> for all of my installation. It isn't that SC is bad so much as it does not
> provide the information that I need, such as a list of dependencies and the
> source.
>
> There are few polished distributions that are based on Debian stable. I
> would know as I have tried them all. I also like the six month release
> cycle and look forward to testing alphas and betas. People should feel free
> to what works for them and to discuss their distros without having the
> thought police come after them. We need to ease up and not get hung up on
> terms and wording. It just distracts from discussion and adds little.

All I want to add is credit where it is due. Now that that is done you can get back to your regularly scheduled programming. But remember, I'll be fact checking you!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment