Sunday, March 18, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: I prefer GNOME

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 12:48:52PM -0000, Paul wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > I need to explore the *box offerings a bit more. I've one system I use fluxbox on and if it just had a few more features I'd ditch all windowing environments for it. As it is it is so minimal as to be inconvenient for practical use though.
> >
> What features are missing for you? Fluxbox frequently adds new
> features and there are also some 3rd party things that might work well
> with it.
>
>
> > I hear good things about xfce too, but I've never given it a try. I'm looking at its website now and it might fill the bill for me. I think I may give it a test drive today in fact.
>
> If the *box offerings are missing things, then (from what I hear, I
> haven't used xfce with any frequency), it might be a good compromise.
> IceWindowManager is another one--it depends, of course, upon what
> features you require.

My requirements vary enough that I use Fluxbox exclusively on one system. I find its sparsity impractical for general purpose desktop use though. The machine I use Fluxbox on only performs a single task, but it is a resource sensitive one. So third party add on software is not a viable option there. Fortunately I don't need much in the way of extras to run only one program. Which is why Fluxbox is such a good fit where I use it. Because I need every nanosecond I can possibly squeeze out of that box.

Someday I'll buy a faster computer to dedicate to that task, but for now I'm running what I have. Doing OK with it too I might add.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment