Saturday, March 10, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: LTS isn't LT enough for me these days

He did not cut Kubuntu off at the knees. He reassigned the lone paid
developer. There are 20 or more other unpaid ones. There are no Xubuntu,
Lubuntu, Ubuntu Studio or Mythbuntu paid developers. I like it that way.
Kubuntu is better off for it.

Here is my spin on it. As long as Canonical had a finger in the pie it was
tainted. We never knew what direction that he would try to take us. Now we
can set our own course as a full on community based distro. That
should make any Kubuntu user rejoice, given the problems that Ubuntu has
had in recent years. Most of their problems have been with poor
communication which is strange since they pay people do manage the
community and to do PR. I do not want to dump on the work of the paid
developer. He did an outstanding job. It is the management issue that
concerned me and now that is settled. For the better.

There are many great distros. Most are community based distros. Only a few
have corporate backing. I am happy that Ubuntu has Canonical and
Shuttleworth to cover their backs. However, there is a cost. It has been a
bumpy ride for users. With a community based distro there is a need to
develop community ties and communicate effectively. It is more lateral and
less hierarchical.

As for defending them. I defend as needed to correct misinformation. I like
it that someone is pushing the envelope, but am not always happy with the
results. I think better them than me. Kubuntu is outstanding. KDE is the
desktop right now. I am not saying that because I use it. It has been
chosen by several groups and in surveys as the top DE for 2011. KDE is
releasing their own tablet. They have their own tablet interface (Plasma
Active). Unlike GNOME Shell, Cinnamon and Unity there is no host of
disgruntled users. It may not be as big as some of the other DEs, but its
users are happy and passionate about it.

With Kubuntu, I get the best of KDE and Ubuntu. I can use the repositories
including PPAs, take advantage of the large community and use all of the
new things that Ubuntu generates without the downside of having to use
Unity (Ubuntu One, Ubiquity installer, Software Centre, etc.) I get my cake
and eat it too.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 10 March 2012 15:11, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > This is total FUD.
> >
> > Ubuntu has the financial backing of Mark Shuttleworth
>
> How can you, of all people, a Kubuntu user, defend him? He cut your
> distribution off at the knees! Anyhow we'll have to wait and see where
> Ubuntu is 5 years from now. I already know I don't like where they're at
> now. But I give them a try every now and again just to see what is up.
>
> Right now I'm on the fence between Gentoo and Arch which distribution I'm
> going towards next. Well, right now I'm 100% Debian but I've soured of
> package management lately. Really what happened was I installed Squeeze on
> a laptop I have here and ran into some ah, let me say operational issues.
>
> For whatever reasons if I wanted my wifi to work I had to run apache? You
> just got to love idiotic dependencies.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment