Sunday, March 11, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: LTS isn't LT enough for me these days

I am saying it but others are as well. So it isn't just because I use it.
It is in fact either the best liked or least hated DE (of the main ones)
now. This is typical.

http://dot.kde.org/2012/03/05/kde-best-desktop-environment-year

Linux Questions is distro and desktop agnostic.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/02/unofficial-rlinux-distro-survey-2012.html

In the section on desktop environments you will see that both Unity and
GNOME 3 are among the most hated while KDE is better than either, but less
well liked than GNOME 2.x. Since most distros come with either GS, Unity or
KDE that puts KDE ahead. I don't like negative questions BTW. I would have
preferred most liked.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/what-s-the-best-linux-desktop-environment--1045280?artc_pg=5

I am not urging anyone to switch to KDE, BTW. This was a response to a rant
against Ubuntu (not KDE) and in defence of Canonical stopping funding of
Kubuntu. The KDE comment was in passing in case anyone thought that KDE or
Kubuntu are threatened by that decision. They can rest easy. By
all means use what makes you happy.

Everyone has there reasons for choosing what they use. We are fortunate to
have such choice. I find them all usable, but some more usable than others.
I find several limiting. Others will choose it for precisely that reason.
They like limitations because their needs are such that they do not want
confusion. Keep it simple. I thrive on options and confusion.

If you are a fan of KDE 3.5 (not me) try Trinity.
http://www.trinitydesktop.org/installation.php#ubuntu

I like Unity. I do not like GNOME Shell. I did not like GNOME 2 either. I
can get Unity to do just about what I want on 12.04. There are reasons why
I will not switch from Kubuntu that go beyond my commitment to KDE and
design choices. I I find Unity limiting in the same way that GNOME 2 was.
To have my wallpaper rotate I have to run a separate application and there
are few good ones that work well with GNOME. KDE has that function built
in. The same can be said for desktop effects and widgets. I love
Activities. It is a way to tailor my desktop to how I use it. I can have a
different one for each interest with separate icons, wallpaper, desktop
location, widgets, and docks. That may be just me that likes to work this
way. I find them the best of what Unity is trying for and the conventional
desktop metaphor.

I totally get why someone would want a clean desktop and shun effects. I
happen to like them. I like integration. I dislike GS with a passion
because I hate fullscreen everything. I hate using the keyboard and doing
mulitple mouse clicks when one will do. Again, someone may love it for
precisely that reason. They want fullscreen. I love remembering hotkeys and
typing. Unity is similar, but at least you can have windows with multiple
ones on the same desktop and drag and drop.

I also get why GNOME 2.x users would dislike Unity and GS. Probably for
similar ones to me. Their problem is they have no choice. GNOME ended the
classic desktop. Much Unity dislike IMO is an over-reaction and blaming the
wrong party. Canonical did not kill GNOME classic. They did invent Unity,
but you have to try GS before you can pass judgement. It is one of those
half empty or half full arguments. You cna look at what you lost and stay
fixated and angry or move on and look at what you gained. Again, use GS and
you will see it as a gain. There are other options, XFCE and Cinnamon.
Neither is GNOME classic either. They are substitutes. You can judge how
well they achieve that for yourself.

Retro works for some people and not for others. The problem for people
craving the older desktops (KDE 3.5 and GNOME 2.x) is that they are the
applications are no longer in active development. The reason why GNOME
dumped GNOME 2.x was that GTK 2 was too limiting and developers were moving
to other things like QT 4 where the could do what they wanted and more
simply. The same problem exists for QT 3 developers. People need to be
mindful of not only the decisions hat were made, but also the reasons
behind them. If you go back in time then you are restricting yourself and
as long as you are good with that then you should enjoy it.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 10 March 2012 21:04, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > He did not cut Kubuntu off at the knees.
>
> Yes he did!
>
> > results. I think better them than me. Kubuntu is outstanding. KDE is the
> > desktop right now. I am not saying that because I use it.
>
> Yes you are.
>
> It has been
> > chosen by several groups and in surveys as the top DE for 2011. KDE is
> > releasing their own tablet. They have their own tablet interface (Plasma
> > Active). Unlike GNOME Shell, Cinnamon and Unity there is no host of
> > disgruntled users.
>
> I can't stand KDE 4.X Been there, run that, I use Gnome now on systems
> that have KDE 4.X. Not because I'm any big fan of Gnome mind you, but
> because I'm too lazy to rip KDE 4.X out and put KDE 3.5 in. It is a lot of
> work! So there's one disgruntled user for you, the only one that matters to
> me too!
>
> BTW this box has KDE 3.5.10 in it and I'm using it right now. Rather
> happily I might add.
>
> Random screener:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/jcczh.jpg
>
> With all of my leet Quake mod icons.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment