Tuesday, March 20, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: File /etc/profile ignored by Bash

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Pascal Bernhard <pascal.hasko@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the numerous responses. I will have a look into your suggestions when I have time this evening. Well, I forgot to mention that I'  talking about terminal emulators, more precisely GNOME's emulator "terminal". I will check the behaviour with ALT+CTRL+F2 and see how Bash behaves there. I put aliases in several files, since I noticed that they didn't get sourced, so I figured that by Bash might read one of them. Putting them in one of them should suffice, provided that the system ist configured correctly. Which obviously is not the case with mine. :-p

In bash's manual page it explains which files execute when. If you want to make sure all configuration files get read then you log out, and log back in. The only file I ever alter is my rc dot file in my home directory, ~/.bashrc

That file should work how you think things should work. You're probably better off not editing the files in /etc unless you know what you're doing and have a very good reason.

Are you sure you're creating aliases properly?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment