Friday, March 16, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: LTS isn't LT enough for me these days

 

I have been using Ubuntu for years. IT is a good distro. I use the GNOME desktop though. KDE itself is mercurial - I mean it has a great deal of prettiness but is weaker in terms of stability

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> This is total FUD.
>
> Ubuntu has the financial backing of Mark Shuttleworth and it is making
> money. He is committed to the project and has the money to stay long term
> and the drive to take Ubuntu places. It is not making much but it is
> beginning to be profitable. Secondly, Ubuntu is more diversified than any
> other distribution. It does more than just the desktop. It is into mobile,
> TV, servers and the cloud. Wikipedia runs on Ubuntu. Distrowatch numbers
> are wrong. Ubuntu is strong. Figures from Wikimedia based on actual usage
> show that Ubuntu is fairly consistent and has a large lead over anybody
> else, including Mint which is a small player.
>
> LTS has been extended from three to five years for desktops. Ubuntu cut
> financial backing for one Kubuntu developer. That was their total
> commitment. Kubuntu has always had minority support from Canonical. It was
> led by KDE and has been for years. You are reading far too much into a
> simple decision to focus on Ubuntu and make Kubuntu the same as Xubuntu and
> the others.
>
> People enjoy spreading FUD about Ubuntu. I am not defending Ubuntu which I
> do not use (Kubuntu user), but am trying to keep it real instead of looking
> for things that are not there and spreading them as truths to cause fear,
> uncertainty and doubt. FUD serves no purpose. It divides where there is no
> division and weakens all of Linux and not just Ubuntu.
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>
> On 9 March 2012 21:57, Paul <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "G.LinuxDucks" <g.linuxducks@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > <<<10.04 is the LTS version right? >>>
> > > Yes it is. The next Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Suport) is 12.04 due April, I
> > > believe. It will be supported for five years this time is reported.
> >
> > If Ubuntu is even around 5 years from now. The history of Linux is full of
> > here today gone tomorrow distribution stories. After what I just saw happen
> > to Kubuntu I'd have to say the fate of Ubuntu as a whole is even more
> > precarious than that of some other amateur maintained distributions.
> >
> > It's a jungle, not always a kind one either. There is an excellent chance
> > I'll still be running Linux 5 years from now, what distribution though I've
> > honestly no idea. I'm souring somewhat of what I am running today in fact.
> > I think I want to get back to a simpler setup that allows me finer grained
> > control than deb based systems seem to provide easily.
> >
> > I am finding my setups are much more static today than they were in the
> > past so maybe package management isn't nearly as important for me as it
> > used to be? If this is the case it would be a paradigm shift from my
> > earlier philosophy that would greatly impact my distribution choice.
> >
> > I have to be honest lately I've been finding updates more annoying than
> > anything else. New useful software isn't even coming out at a pace that
> > makes complicated package management worthwhile for me to deal with either.
> > What I'm saying is once I've a system laid up how I like it I prefer it to
> > stay as is.
> >
> > Really, if I wanted to be forced to change my OS every 5 years I'd run
> > Windows :)
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment