Wednesday, October 24, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Older Laptop & Ubuntu

 

I highly recommend AntiX, I'm running it on an IBM T21 (Pentium III 1.1 GHz, 512MB RAM) and even on this old machine (made in 2000) it runs reasonably well. AntiX is basically Debian (Testing), so everything that works on Debian, you can do/use there as well (smxi for example). It comes with Fluxbox and IceWM as default window managers, but since you have the Debian repositories available, you could install anything you like. Their forum is very friendly and you get quick responses. In addition it is a rolling release, so you would get an update, when a new Debian version comes out.

It is quite fast with these WMs and stable at that, barely had any problems. It not exactly for beginners though, but learning curve is not steeper than it would be with Debian proper. In case you have been using Linux for some while already, you should not have any problems finding your way around.

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pascal

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:
>
> Try Lubuntu, or Bodhi, or PcLinuxOS LXDE, or Puppy Linux. Anyone have other ideas?
>
> Joan in Reno
>
> --- On Tue, 10/23/12, Gabrielle <dawnyisrael13@...> wrote:
>
> From: Gabrielle <dawnyisrael13@...>
> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Older Laptop & Ubuntu
> To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 6:08 AM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Greetings, I just recently purchased a Panasonic Toughbook with the following specs:
>
>
>
> Type Notebook
>
> Screen Size 13.3"
>
> Brand Panasonic
>
> Processor Type CENTRINO
>
> Product Line Toughbook
>
> Processor Speed 1.3GHZ
>
> Model CF29
>
> Memory 1.25GB
>
> Operating System Windows XP
>
> Hard Drive Capacity 40GB
>
>
>
> I was pretty excited when it arrived and wanted to get Ubuntu on it quick. I already have another laptop (Toshiba) that I have Ubuntu on and I love it. No problem with downloading Ubuntu on that laptop either. I can not say the same for my new/old laptop. I went to the Ubuntu site and downloaded the for windows version so I could dual boot. It downloaded OK and even had me pick my name and password. So, I then reboot and choose Ubuntu from the screen and it goes to the Ubuntu orange screen but no desktop is there. It is the desktop without all the icons that usually pop up along the left side and also nothing in the upper right corner for time, shut down, etc. So, I turn it off and back on. When I hit my off switch the Ubuntu logo does come up in the middle with the dots underneath as the computer powers down. I reboot, it asks me to sign in again and goes to a blank Ubuntu screen again.
>
> Where is the desktop? Please help, I am not sure why it did not set up the desktop completely.
>
> Thank you
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment