Friday, October 26, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Older Laptop & Ubuntu

 

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 08:58:24AM -0000, Paul wrote:
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <dawnyisrael13@...> wrote:
> >
> > A BIG thank you for the responses! Some great information. Although I did find the problem. In my excitement when the computer arrived in the mail and I was excited that it worked and everything, I neglected to look and see just what version of everything was running. The computer had evidently been sitting for a few years. I found this out because I went to download something else and I received a message that said upgrade to a more recent version of explorer. Turns out that it still had something like explorer five and for the Windows XP it was still on service pac 2! So, I spent a day upgrading everything on Windows and then Ubuntu loaded up just fine and is now working with a desktop and everything.
> > Another learning experience for me. Thank you again for all the suggestions. I will keep them for any future reference.
> >
>
> Maybe you can explain to me how Linux depends on Windows? Because I've been running Linux without Windows for quite some time now. I update Windows with fdisk and format. That is just how I roll.

More likely coincidence--however, if Gabrielle was using Ubuntu's Wubi, it
might be connected. (Wubi--I think that's its name) is used to install
Ubuntu as if it were a Windows application.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Spike: What's Big Blue doing anyway?
The Judge: I am preparing.
Spike: It's interesting to me that preparing looks a great bit
like sitting on your ass.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment