Sunday, October 28, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Recover Windows Partition_GRUB does not recognize Windows partition

 

I wanted to shrink a Windows-XP partition under a dual boot setup (Kubuntu 12.10), in order to install a different Linux and have more space for it on the harddrive. So I resized it via ntfsresize -b -s 60GB (original size was 90GB). Kubuntu's GRUB booted Windows correctly. Then I deleted the NTFS-partition with fdisk and recreated in its place a smaller one (size 61GB, a little bigger than the newly shrunk file system). Unfortunately I did not pay attention to the starting point of the original Windows partition, and had it start on the default value fdisk assumes, that is 2048.

All of a sudden, Kubuntu's GRUB told me that no partition was found, I had deleted the Linux partitions behind Windows in the meantime, as Siduction's installer (I did not want Ubuntu stuff anymore) does not feature a working, easy to use partioning tool like gparted. Somehow the installed GRUB barely understood (that is, it understood some but not all) GRUB2 and GRUB commands when it dropped to grub shell on bootup. It saw the NTFS-partition, but I could not make it boot it.

ls & set root=(hdX,Y) worked
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root} didn't

so I was stuck

Then I installed Siduction and Fuduntu on the free disk space. Both installed their respective GRUB into the MBR of the partition, but neither of them detected a Windows OS. Right now I can choose between Siduction and Fuduntu. The command os-prober wasn't successful either. I cannot mount (Running Fuduntu or Siduction) the partition (/dev/sda1), for I'm told, that it doesn't contain a valid NTFS file system.

Does somebody know how to fix that? Do I have to reinstall Windows?

Pascal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment