Monday, October 29, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Recover Windows Partition_GRUB does not recognize Windows partition

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> You can rewrite grub using the Kubuntu Live CD or any other one.
>
> Got to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing
> see the section: Reinstalling GRUB 2 from a Working System
>
> It is rather simple really. You just open a terminal and copy and paste the
> line that looks like: sudo grub-install /dev/sda
>
> It should detect any installed OS and give it a grub entry.

Exactly that is the point, GRUB does not detect any OS on this partition and I'm told that the file system is not valid (After shrinking only the file system and not yet the partition, I was able to boot into Windows). I believe there is a problem with the partition. It starts at sector 2048 (That's what fdisk set it to when creating a new partition, no smaller value possible via this tool). I installed several GRUBs (GRUB legacy & GRUB 2), they all failed to recognize Windows.

Does anyone know of a Linux partitioning tool where you can set the beginning of a new partition at sector 64? That's the starting point of a NTFS-formatted USB drive, and I suspect, that is where the Windows partition should actually start for GRUB to detect a Windows operating system.

In the meantime, I guess I will install Windows 7 on another computer

Thanks for your help,

Pascal

>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Do you have a Windows CD to boot from? Do you know the Admin Password? For
> > WinXP, I've used Fixboot and FixMBR, then later I've used the Grub Disk
> > Repair CD. I hope you remembered to run Defrag on the Windows hard drive
> > before resizing its partition.
> >
> > Excuse if I left out any steps, but others have no doubt run into this
> > more than I have.
> >
> > Joan in Reno
> >
> > --- On Sun, 10/28/12, Pascal <pascal.bernhard@...> wrote:
> >
> > From: Pascal <pascal.bernhard@...>
> > Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Recover Windows Partition_GRUB does not recognize
> > Windows partition
> > To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Sunday, October 28, 2012, 4:48 PM
> >
> >
> >
> > I wanted to shrink a Windows-XP partition under a dual boot setup (Kubuntu
> > 12.10), in order to install a different Linux and have more space for it on
> > the harddrive. So I resized it via ntfsresize -b -s 60GB (original size was
> > 90GB). Kubuntu's GRUB booted Windows correctly. Then I deleted the
> > NTFS-partition with fdisk and recreated in its place a smaller one (size
> > 61GB, a little bigger than the newly shrunk file system). Unfortunately I
> > did not pay attention to the starting point of the original Windows
> > partition, and had it start on the default value fdisk assumes, that is
> > 2048.
> >
> > All of a sudden, Kubuntu's GRUB told me that no partition was found, I had
> > deleted the Linux partitions behind Windows in the meantime, as Siduction's
> > installer (I did not want Ubuntu stuff anymore) does not feature a working,
> > easy to use partioning tool like gparted. Somehow the installed GRUB barely
> > understood (that is, it understood some but not all) GRUB2 and GRUB
> > commands when it dropped to grub shell on bootup. It saw the
> > NTFS-partition, but I could not make it boot it.
> >
> > ls & set root=(hdX,Y) worked
> >
> > drivemap -s (hd0) ${root} didn't
> >
> > so I was stuck
> >
> > Then I installed Siduction and Fuduntu on the free disk space. Both
> > installed their respective GRUB into the MBR of the partition, but neither
> > of them detected a Windows OS. Right now I can choose between Siduction and
> > Fuduntu. The command os-prober wasn't successful either. I cannot mount
> > (Running Fuduntu or Siduction) the partition (/dev/sda1), for I'm told,
> > that it doesn't contain a valid NTFS file system.
> >
> > Does somebody know how to fix that? Do I have to reinstall Windows?
> >
> > Pascal
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment