Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] how good is red hat training?

 

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 15:15, Donald Cooley <dfcooley@gmail.com<dfcooley%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> > Anyone want to share their experience with RH training? I'm seriously
> > thinking of taking their course leading to RHCE.
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Donald Cooley
>
> The classes are pretty darned good. I can't speak to the ones given
by their training partners, but the ones that Red Hat runs themselves
are really good.

However, you didn't mention where you'd be starting, or which classes
you were interested in.

The exam is damned hard, so be prepared. You really do have to know
what you're doing, and be able to demonstrate it, and be prepared for
a very long day of testing.

Also, the classes are expensive, so if you plan on starting with the
first class in the RHCE track and going from there, expect to pay a
LOT for it. HOWEVER, if you have a fair bit of Red Hat experience,
have some system administration experience and are good at
debugging/troubleshooting, your best bet would be to get a good book
or two, practice practice practice and perhaps even take some more
generic linux classes for less money.

This will give you a good overview of the RHCE track if you haven't
seen it yet:

http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/

After reading more abut RH's offerings at the url you provided I took
the pre-assessments for both RH131 Red Hat Linux System Administration and
RH253 Red Hat Linux Networking and Security Administration. I didn't do well
at all on the latter - I wasn't surprised because I haven't yet studied
networking.
The results for the former are posted here: http://pastebin.ca/1793245. I'm
not sure how much I should follow the results of the assessments

I'd suggest you not go with just RH300 and Exam unless you are very
familiar with RHEL 5 though. That course is NOT a bootcamp, but more
just a 4 day review of the entire RHCE curriculum and the exam on day
5. If you are not already familiar with everything being covered,
you'll get lost in that one.

I wouldn't even seriously consider doing that. I have some experience
with Fedora 1{0,1,2} - I can't remember which ones. I have a DVD of CentOS i
could load in VirtualBox.

BUT, as I said, most, if not all, of it you can learn by going through
one of the RHCE books and practicing with a couple systems you can
break and fix.

I have some very good manuals from Linup Front to study for the LPIC
101 & 102 (which I haven't taken either. One of my primary motivations is in
getting a job in system administration. I don't have any on the job
experience.

So that's my general answer... if you have any specific questions,
throw them out there... I can't give too many details due to NDA, but
at least I can get you pointed in the right direction.

How is the exam given - written or fix a broken pc or ... ? Can one use
the man pages on the computer? :-) Thanks for th. feedback.

Regards,
Donald Cooley

>
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment