Saturday, February 13, 2010

Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Slug as Time Machine

 

   Well, after some additional attempts, it looks like I'm unable to even connect using afp from my Mac OS X machine.  I followed the instructions:
 
Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
afp://192.168.0.178/TimeMachine
 
   I was challenged with:
 
'Enter your user name and password to access the file server "Time Capsule".'
 
   I attempted to login as guest, since that was how I configured afpd.conf, and received the error:
 
'Connection failed - There was an error connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address and try again.'
 
   The only configurations I made were to /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to allow guest access:
 
"Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
 
   and to /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
 
/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine "TimeMachine"
 
   pulse_and_saw commented that he had to compile from source on Debian Lenny to get authentication working against Mac OS X.  I'm not sure if I'm up for that (having never done so for any packages running on my Unslung 6.10 NSLU), so I'll ask the two questions:
 
   1. Is there any knowledge among this community what might be causing authentication to fail against Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is what I'm running)?
 
   2. Are there how-tos available that might assist me if I decide I'm willing to compile netatalk from source on my Unslung box?
 
   Thanks in advance,
 
   - M.J.
 


 
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM, marbordom <marbordom@gmail.com> wrote:
 



--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
...

> - In section 1) below, where should I be authenticating as user (in your
> example) "apple"? According to the wiki instructions, doesn't the line:
>
> "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
>
> in afpd.conf take care of this for me? That is, shouldn't I be able to
> authenticate as "guest"?
>

The answer is probably yes: You should be allowed to connect as guest with the config from the wiki.

Actually I am guessing here because I have not set up my afp server as a Time Capsule following this Wiki. My solution is based on a simple network setup sharing the user's home dir in which the sparsebundle resides. So I allow acess to the backup only to authorized users and not guests.
1) after you allowed MacOS to use "any" network share as a time machine backup location with this command:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
you can mount this share manually in Finder.

Afer this mount the network drive it is selectable in the Timachine setup.


> - In section 2) below, in the line:
>
> /home/apple "apple"
>
> I assume the name "apple" in quotes is the name of the share I'm
> publishing through afp... correct?

The user/password is the one from the user 'apple' on the nslu2, the share I called "apple" including the double quotes in the config
e"

So as a good approach you should mount the share as guest and check the permissions. Try to read/write a file on this Time machine share as guest. Also for some magic reasons you can re-create the sparsebundle and copy it again - I had to do this a few times myself.
Good luck.


__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment