Thursday, February 11, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux, Samba, KlamAV and Windows Home

 

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:50, Robert C Wittig
<wittig.robert@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Doh!
>
> I just scanned the email quickly, and, never having run AVWare on a *nix
> box (except for mailservers), I ASSUMED 'Windows -> Linux Samba Shares.
>
> I am sort of curious, why he would be doing this... does he not have
> AVWare on the Windows box?

Because he can? ;-) I don't know... the only reason I could think of
would be to have a guaranteed safe system to do the scanning. I've
run across a couple nasty virii that would prevent various AV programs
from doing anything...

Then again, I also use bootable virus scanner DVD/CD images as well,
to give me a clean environment for scanning when I need them (e.g. the
onboard scanner could be compromised).

Though I've never used a linux based scanner to scan windows boxen
before either. Never had the need for it myself... I just flatten the
windows box and re-install when necessary...

--

Mike Ditka - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment