Thursday, June 24, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Ready to install Linux

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <dawnyisrael13@...> wrote:
>
> Greetings to the Group,
>
> Well, I finally have my own computer and am ready to install Linux. I now that a Toshiba Laptop with a dual core processor, 3Gb/320 gb hard Drive. I also obtained an external Seagate 500Gb HD. That is where I would like to put the Linux is onto this external HD. I want to set it up and do it correct. I went to the Ubuntu Netbook download page. I am not sure if it will ask me if I am going to partition my hard drive or use an external HD. Should I use the Netbook download or should I do something else and how to proceed. Thank you
>

If you have a real Toshiba laptop, it seems a shame to put the netbook
remix on it. I tried it on my netbook and eventually went with Linux
Mint which works great on a netbook.

However, we are talking about a real laptop. I would suggest the
following:
1. Partition part of your main hard drive for Linux. I can't believe
Windoze needs the full 320 GB, especially since I am running dual
boot with the main 320 GB drive on a similar Dell laptop. The
speed will be the payback. Put all those seldom used files on the
external in an NTFS partition. You should be able to access them
from both Linux and Windoze.
2. Give Linux Mint a spin. Many people on here use it and I believe
it is the easiest transition from Windoze, especially since
Ubuntu went all Mac on us. Another option would be Kubuntu which
should be just about as friendly. Both are available as a Live CD
meaning you can burn them to CD, boot to that CD, and actually try
them out before touching your hard drive. Either will run slower
from the CD, but it will give you the flavor of how they function.

I am forced to use Windoze at work which is the only reason I
even have it on my disk. I have a 100 GB partition with Windoze XP
on it, a 100 GB Linux Mint partition, and a 120 GB data partition
formatted NTFS so that both operating systems can access and use it.

Just my $.02 worth.

Loyal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment