Saturday, June 26, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Ready to install Linux

 

There are several ways to get Linux on a CD/DVD. You could go to the bookstore and get a Magazine or book on Linux. Many have a disk. You could download it and burn it to CD/DVD/Thumb Drive (Flash Stick, Flash Drive or whatever they call them). The advantage of a Thumb Drive is you could use the CD/DVD Drive. Unless you have 2 CD/DVD drives.

Now for someone who wants to play with Linux and not have to worry too much about this or that working I suggest Mint Linux. It is built on the shoulders of Ubuntu which is built on Debian. So just about any Debian or Ubuntu program will work on Mint. The only draw back is the Desktop. KDE, Gnome, Xfce, are the most popular, I have come across about 16 different Desktops but I have used the three listed. All three work good.

If you want movies, java and almost anything else to work I would suggest Mint, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS. All will run movies, sound, Java and almost anything else right out of the box. Sorta speak. The others like Ubuntu, Debian will not you have to download and install the codecs. I have not played enough with Fedora, Gentoo or Knoppix to know if everything works right out of the box there. Those that do work are most like Windows out of the box. The only place you can't go is places that require Windows or Mac.

I am still fairly new to Linux myself. Been playing with LIVE CD/DVD's for about a year and a half and have Ubuntu installed on my desktop for about 5 months. No problems. I prefer using my Linux Desktop over my Windows Desktop or my Windows Laptop.

There still glitches on programs but usually when you restart the program you get your work back. Not always but most of the time.

One problem you will come across is the Desktop Apps. If you use Gnome, then KDE programs will not work. If you use KDE, then Gnome programs will not work. I suggest that once you get a good feeling for Linux to jump to a Fedora, Red Hat, Debian, Gentoo, one of the bigger Distros that offer different Desktops. That way you can load all the programs you want and just switch desktops to use the different programs.

Carl

________________________________
From: loyal_barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, June 25, 2010 9:29:07 PM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Ready to install Linux

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <dawnyisrael13@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you to everyone that responded. It looks like I need to do some studying in the file section here. The Toshiba did come with Windows 7. It is both good and bad. A lot of my beloved programs will not work. sure The laptop did come with a lot of "junk" downloaded. I am not sure yet what is needed and what is not. I am a former Mac person that has been using a PC for a bit now. I really want to learn Linux, and it looks like the best bet may be for me to obtain it on disk.

> <snip>

Why not burn your own? Go to this link and see if this will get you
where you need to go:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/message/27626

Yes, I wrote it, but I think it is pretty straight forward.

Loyal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment