Monday, June 28, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Ready to install Linux

I said that it wasn't personal but tried to keep it general. I was referring
to behaviour of some Mint users who find it troublesome to install one
package, restricted-extras. That is just laziness. As for unethical that
refers to not caring about licenses. Open source is all about licenses. The
name open source and free software both refer to it, so it must be
important.

I did not slap Mint around. I resent Mint users characterising itself as
easier to use or better than Ubuntu. While I admit to using proprietary
codecs, I agreed to the license conditions to do so. What I object to is
ignoring licenses and seeing virtue in that. Rather than trying to state
that Mint is superior Mint users need to show a little more respect for
goose that lays their golden egg and not undermine its position.

I fear that you are taking this personal. Let's both chill for a bit. I
respect that you are a big Mint booster and hope that you continue in your
role of helping Mint users. I hope that you defend Mint, but draw the line
at doing so at the expense of Ubuntu or any other distribution. I will not
call it Ubuntu late. That is unnecessary. I still do not agree with their
stand on restricted licenses, but they are not the only distribution to do
it. There is room enough for Mint and Ubuntu. Users need to be careful when
they are advocates not to tread on others' toes.

Roy


On 28 June 2010 14:34, loyal_barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> I will comment on only one thing below then let the rest of the
> rant go. I recommend Ubuntu and use it so I resent being
> categorized as lazy and unethical because I use and recommend
> Mint. I repeat my point that it is disingenuous to slap Mint around
> because (1) they were 16 days later than Ubuntu and (2) they use
> proprietary codecs that you use also.
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > I was NOT having a bad day. My problem is not with Mint but Mint USERS
> who
> > advocate it on the basis that you do not need to install codecs as if
> this
> > is some kind of virtue.
> <snip>
>
> > Mint's
> > attitude re: proprietary drivers and codecs like its users seems to be
> based
> > on laziness and in the long run will work against Linux users.
> >
> > I find it entirely hypocritical that the US under the guise of ACTA is
> > pushing the rest of the world most of which do NOT accept the idea of
> > software patents and DRM to adopt harsh penalties and Mint which is a US
> > distribution
>
> It is so easy to determine that this statement is not true that
> it points out exactly my point. You have an axe to grind and have
> done ZERO research. Otherwise you would know that Mint is not
> in any way a US distribution.
>
> > <mega-biased crap snip>
> > Roy
>
> Roy,
> You have an axe to grind. You have done it. Let's move on and
> not waste the group's time. If you ever want to actually learn
> something about Mint, please let me know. If you want to continue
> this inane rant, please DON'T let me know.
>
> BTW, I look forward to your next non-Mint post. In general you
> have very enlightening posts. I personally have learned a lot from
> you and look forward to doing so in the future. I really do
> respect you, just not on this particular rant.
>
> Loyal
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment