Monday, June 28, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint--and a nagging Gnome glitch you may be able to solve...

I use apt-fast and really like it. If there is a problem with a GNOME
setting then you could try removing the .gnome2 folder. This will delete
your setting but it could clear up the problem. Sometimes when you switch
from one distribution and keep the same home folder it will cause problems
like this. I am not sure if this is the case here, but it would not hurt to
start with fresh GNOMe settings.

Roy

On 28 June 2010 01:58, David Neeley <dbneeley@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> For a very long time now, I have kept a partition on my computer with
> the express purpose of trying new distros. It's about 15 GB, which is
> plenty for a root partition--since I have my /home in a separate
> partition.
>
> Because so many on this list are so high on Mint, I loaded the latest
> version to give it a try--it had been several years since I had looked
> at it. (And by the way, I suggested Mint to a friend with little
> experience on Linux and none recently---and he loves it.
>
> Frankly, so far at least I don't see that it is anything all that
> different or outstanding (although of course it's very good, as I
> fully expected). I encountered a few glitches with the Mint iteration
> of the "software center"--so I installed the Ubuntu one
> instead--although truth be told I rarely use it as I still prefer
> either Synaptic when I'm browsing for applications by description or
> apt-fast from the command line.
>
> The issue some folks have that they seem to find that installing
> codecs is difficult is easy enough to solve anyway--I commonly just
> install Ubuntu Tweak as part of my installation routine of any *buntu
> install, and get everything the way I need it in just a few minutes
> with no big deal involved.
>
> (Apt-fast, by the way, is a fantastic script that uses Axel to put
> apt-get on steroids. Highly recommended!)
>
> Now, here's the problem: every time I install Gnome, on startup it
> fails to set up metacity. I'm aware it is something in the home
> directory, but so far I have not found what it is. Now, it's not a big
> deal to use guake to run it in the "--replace" mode from the command
> line, but I would very much like to get rid of this glitch.
>
> Since I'm not all that experienced in gnome, I thought perhaps one of
> you folks had run into this and fixed it and might share with me how
> you did it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment