Friday, February 1, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] install x on centos 5

 

Hi!

I am trying to install x-windows on a machine that run on centos 5

I did a group install of gnome with this command:

yum -y groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

Everything seemed to go smootly I did not had any error reported at the end of the process.

I even did a reboot of the machine

but when I try to start X thats what I have:

# startx
hostname: Unknown host
xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.2301
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/bin is in your path and
that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
for your display. Possible server names include:

Xorg X.Org displays

xinit: Server error.
#

What am I doing wrong..

X is supposed to install itself with the gnome group..??

All I do is under the root user
I know I should not, will switch to a user when things will run smooth

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment