Sunday, February 24, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: A Cautionary Tale

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Chris Trask wrote:
>
> >
> >Thank you for sharing yours, unfortunately mine weren't so lovely. That computer locked up on
> >me again so Mint is going! If I am going to go through a lot of trouble it might as well be
> >for something that is worthwhile, Debian.
> >
>
> And I have one of my own. I have been trying to get Linux Mint 14 to work for me at least as well as Win98/SE and WinXP, the result of our local "computer expert (NOT)" having installed Win7 on a WinXP laptop, with horrible consequences which is why it was given to me. I have spent the last week on and off trying to establish a dialup connection, installing Gnome-PPP and a bunch of other modules to get it to recognize the modem. Just now I found by way of scanModem that there is no Linux driver available for the Intel modem chipset in this laptop, so this past month of effort has been a complete waste of time.
>
> So, I'm going back to installing WinXP on this laptop, starting with Win98/SE and then upgrading to WinXP/HE. Sure hope this works as I need to have a fully functional laptop.
>
> It's not as though I'm new to computers. I've been around them since 1968, starting with punched tape and converted RTTY terminals for input/output, then an IBM 360/370 with punched cards, then a Xerox 560 with punched cards and APL, then the Atari 800, then the original IBM PC, etc. The last OS I had full confidence in was Win98/SE, and prior to that it was DOS 6.22.
>
>
> Chris

Every situation is unique and demands an appropriate solution. Intel is normally pretty good with Linux drivers so I am surprised your hardware is not supported. But modems do get less attention today than they used to. Laptops are especially problematic to get to work because you have less latitude reconfiguring the hardware in them than desktops. I mean if it was a desktop you could just use an external modem and call it a day. That is how I dealt with modems back when I used them. I never wasted my time with internal modems. Then if I was being attacked I could simply hit the power switch on the modem. Which back then was a handy feature. EFnet was a rough place!

I should get my old US Robotics Sportster X2 56K modem bronzed today or something. Thing was awesome! I can still remember downloading Slackware with the thing, all 128MB of it. It took me three days. After the second day I learned how to use ftp in the non-interactive mode and the command mget *. Then I finally got a little sleep ...

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment