Sunday, February 24, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: A Cautionary Tale

 

>
>Thank you for sharing yours, unfortunately mine weren't so lovely. That computer locked up on
>me again so Mint is going! If I am going to go through a lot of trouble it might as well be
>for something that is worthwhile, Debian.
>

And I have one of my own. I have been trying to get Linux Mint 14 to work for me at least as well as Win98/SE and WinXP, the result of our local "computer expert (NOT)" having installed Win7 on a WinXP laptop, with horrible consequences which is why it was given to me. I have spent the last week on and off trying to establish a dialup connection, installing Gnome-PPP and a bunch of other modules to get it to recognize the modem. Just now I found by way of scanModem that there is no Linux driver available for the Intel modem chipset in this laptop, so this past month of effort has been a complete waste of time.

So, I'm going back to installing WinXP on this laptop, starting with Win98/SE and then upgrading to WinXP/HE. Sure hope this works as I need to have a fully functional laptop.

It's not as though I'm new to computers. I've been around them since 1968, starting with punched tape and converted RTTY terminals for input/output, then an IBM 360/370 with punched cards, then a Xerox 560 with punched cards and APL, then the Atari 800, then the original IBM PC, etc. The last OS I had full confidence in was Win98/SE, and prior to that it was DOS 6.22.

Chris

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment