Saturday, February 9, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Distribution Question

 


--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" wrote:
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach wrote:
> >
> > So true, on Zorin 6.x core 64-bit, I added LXDE and KDE and just select when I log in. I decided to add then when some updates triggered the Zorin Start menu to be hijacked by the Ubuntu Start button.
> > I was going to try Ultimate Linux, but one stick of RAM going bad and a drop down to a slower AMD AM2 CPU, put that on the back burner for awhile.
> > Joan in Reno
> >
>
> By when you log in do you mean with a Display Manager, such as gdm? If yes then those often contain menus where one may choose which Window Manager to use. I suppose DMs are one big difference between today and long ago. I used to log in at the console myself, then startx, at the command prompt. Mostly so if X ever messed up on me it would be easier to recover my system.

Yes, I remembered that there was a symbol on the top right, I think, that issued that menu. But if X doesn't start like in Slackware, I try startx.
>
> No warranty on that RAM stick huh? Often they have lifetime guarantees. I'm not sure how well those are honored though. The PC market does seem to have fallen on hard times anymore. I'm glad I built my last system when I did. I don't think I could have done any better since. There is better hardware available today of course, but it is all so expensive lately. I believe mobile has made the economies of scale tip against us now.
>
I have the PNY package that the 2-1GB sticks came in, I bought it with the MSI motherboard and AMD AM2 940 socket CPU and PCI-E VGA card when I worked at CompUSA. I could've kicked myself when I bent and broke one of those pins on it. The only good thing is it no longer costs almost $200, on to EBay I suppose. I never had RAM go bad and it looked like it was the VGA card, then I guessed the MOBO. When the replacement arrived, I saw it didn't work either, that's when I tried pulling one RAM stick at a time. I tried the one that worked in both slots to be sure it wasn't the slot. So now I will be buying two CPUs eventually.

I usually get older parts from other techs, since they know Linux can use older stuff. Then I try to trade or give the computers away, but those wanting laptops and tablets are making it harder.

Joan in Reno

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment