Friday, February 8, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Distribution Question

 

It's only my own experience but I liked XUbuntu a lot on my netbook until I fiddled around one time too many and scragged it, so am currently installing Mint 13 xfce edition (I like xfce!) which seems to work out of the box . Much depends on your system and your personal preferences.
The Wombat

Charles Doubek hartselle48@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
>Thanks Scott, I will look into the two that you mentioned. 
>
>
>

>On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 05:55:26PM -0000, Charles wrote:
>>
>> I've been reading a Linux newbie guide and I'm trying to decide which
>distro to use. Toward the bottom of this page
>http://tinyurl.com/a57w9ln there is a chart makes reference to
>dependency problems and in Chapter 8 the "Dependency Hell" of RPM based
>distributions is mentioned.
>>
>> How worried should I be about the dependency issue?
>>
>
>Not very. That really hasn't been true for years. Yum, the package
>handling tool for RedHat and some offshoots, handles things very well
>nowadays. In the old days, pre yum, one would run the command rpm -ivh
>whatever to install a package, only to have it fail because it was
>missing
>something. Then, when you searched for the missing thing, it turned
>out
>that you needed yet another rpm to install the missing rpm.
>
>However, these days, almost all distributions, including those that use
>RPMs, have very good package management programs that will pull in all
>dependencies. On occasion, due to various factors, any of them might
>fail,
>but 99 percent of the time, whether one uses rpms or debs package
>installation is not a problem.
>
>>
>> I found this groups link to the Top Ten Distributions. That is a lot
>of information to digest. I know there can be no definitive answer to
>this question and I don't want to start a flame war but I would be
>interested in hearing some advice on which distribution to choose.
>>
>
>For a beginner, Ubuntu or Mint seem to be the best choices. In
>addition,
>both have pretty friendly and helpful forums.
>
>--
>Scott Robbins
>PGP keyID EB3467D6
>( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
>gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>Oswin: Doesn't she seem a bit too angry to you?
>Amy: Well, somebody's never been to Scotland.
>
>
>
>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>------------------------------------
>
>To unsubscribe from this list, please email
>LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo!
>Groups Links
>
>
>
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment