Sunday, February 10, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Whining About Wine

 

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 05:52:34AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > > I just run wine file. It will then almost always give
> > > > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
> > > > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
> > > >
> > >
> > > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.
> >
> > That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
> > the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
> > directory name, that means it is a hidden file.
> >

> !!!!! That part I did not know. I assumed that it was going to be in the C:\Program Files folder. So it may already be there. I'll have a look later after some parts arrive. I'm swapping between two hard drives (one with Win7 and the other with Linux) and I'm concerned about damaging one of them, so I have a spare adapter strip and caddy for this Dell laptop in the mail.

In wine, at least on a 64 bit system, I have $HOME (referring to my home
directory, for example, if your user name is chris, it would be
/home/chris, or, depending upon distribution, /usr/home/chris--the home
directory is also frequently referred to with a tilde, such as ~ to
represent /home/chris), so at any rate, you should have

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

and, on a 64 bit system

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)

So, it may be in there. If it is, you may be able to run it with

wine

Note that with spaces in a name, it's easier to use tab completion--that
is, type wine ~/.wine/driv (and hit the tab key, to let completion fill in
the drive_c)/Prog (hit the tab key to let it fill in the backslash to
escape the face in the file name, so it will look like

wine ./wine/drive_c/Program\ Files

and so on.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Xander: I'm not worried. If there's something bad out there,
we'll find, you'll slay, we'll party.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment