Friday, April 16, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Greetings from a total newbie

 


Thank you Robert & David for your info. I do have one more question about the processor. Since all the brand new systems have that new i3-i9 processor, all the dual core processors have come down in price. Like right now at one store there is an Acer 15" laptop with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor TK-42 with 3GB Ram and 320GB Hard Drive for $399. Not a bad price for something brand new. But, the question is, will Linux work well with the dual core processors? I have checked Craigslist and other places and it seems that people paid so much for their laptop originally that they are asking about $300 for a lot of them. So, when I saw that some of the new ones had come down in price, I was thinking I would go that rout. Plus, the amount of memory so that I can partition the hard drive as I have a couple of games that will take me the rest of my life to get through and I do not want to lose the ability to still play those. Anyway, just curious about single vs. dual core processor. Thanks again.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@...> wrote:
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> dawnyisrael13 wrote:
> > Greetings to everyone. I am hoping to find answers to questions
> > about Linux. I have been searching off and on for computers that are
> > preloaded with Linux and tried to contact companies that are suppose
> > to have Linux loaded computers and have become extremely frustrated
> > in my quest. First, I am a former Mac person. My old iMac got too
> > old and full and when I went out to try to find a replacement, I of
> > course came up very short of enough change to purchase another one.
> > So, I had an a knowledge of Linux out there and have been looking for
> > a laptop preloaded with Linux. Frustrating to the Max! I have found
> > them, but some information I read says to maybe avoid at this time.
> > Soooo, my question is, would it be best for me to just go ahead and
> > buy some affordable laptop and then obtain a version of Linux and
> > load it myself?? If so, are some brands more compatible with doing
> > this than others? What is the easiest Linux system to start with?
> > Ok, I will stop there as I do not want to overwhelm with too many
> > questions. Thank you in advance for any and all answers.
> >
>
> There is a small but useful 'cottage industry' of people who install
> Linux on older, but mechanically sound laptops, that would be too slow
> for Windows OS, but that run great on Linux Distros.
>
> I just installed Mint on an older (two years) laptop for my sister, last
> week... runs like a rocket. She acquired the laptop from a friend, who
> said it was 'busted', for free.
>
> The only thing wrong with it was the Windows XP OS had crashed fatally,
> and was unrecoverable.
>
> Try browsing:
>
> http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=linux+laptop&_sacat=See-All-Categories
>
> Also, CraigsList.Org in your area might be a good resource.
>
>
>
> - --
> - -wittig
> http://www.robertwittig.com/
> http://robertwittig.net/
> http://robertwittig.org/
> .
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with CentOS - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
>
> iQEVAwUBS8glk/9qkhAVPSgqAQL0iQgAherf90dKzBf7CBMKhj51lgWgFJaOrJaU
> Rx5FxYd+QavIowO2Ps0rBetiiAHShaVo/p2ZXbBBVjH4KaiQGYsEOVApi17Cy6wX
> JZer5d4HNA4j1nwdrL7sjgibXQeI1hSsl5JUVPy5HtPhQmOz3sYmlGbGdwqLFBJU
> rJv4UyuXHYgzxNVJgRPKlL2gtnlGYcdE95WX2LZGto0PDMZVOigxsPNXPz0iAD/Y
> ehsvDgT2WxF+U3Y8j0eNPq8Fzkv+vMSimmUmQnTO00+RJt+iitpKSMK7fLDtSeK8
> gqFwZxR/Hw8sler9R+XGBqnghwckmmoGrRtSqEEW2zJVm9gcLgxBMA==
> =wpjI
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment