Friday, April 16, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Greetings from a total newbie

 

Welcome to the list.

dawnyisrael13 wrote:
> Greetings to everyone. I am hoping to find answers to questions
> about Linux. I have been searching off and on for computers that are
> preloaded with Linux and tried to contact companies that are suppose
> to have Linux loaded computers and have become extremely frustrated
> in my quest.

It is easy to load a distribution. It is easy to just use a distribution as me running a P2 windoz 95 vintage laptop with Puppy Linux from a CD , , , and being extremely happy that USB drivers activated the port that eventually led to running off a USB flash drive or running an external hard drive. Kool what the old hardware did with modern drivers.

First, I am a former Mac person. My old iMac got too
> old and full and when I went out to try to find a replacement, I of
> course came up very short of enough change to purchase another one.
> So, I had an a knowledge of Linux out there and have been looking for
> a laptop preloaded with Linux. Frustrating to the Max! I have found
> them, but some information I read says to maybe avoid at this time.
> Soooo, my question is, would it be best for me to just go ahead and
> buy some affordable laptop and then obtain a version of Linux and
> load it myself??
I am like to tinker/ am not rich so all my hardware is old. Doing it yourself is easy. For me with 2 years experience the biggest negative is a scanner and photo manipulation. I have not found anything that works so I have two hard drives/ OS's I can think in. I should be able to run wine (a windoz simulator) but the learning curve is high, , and documentation on how is hard to find. Common stuff as email/ writing/ spread sheets worked out of the box and is fast. David

If so, are some brands more compatible with doing
> this than others? What is the easiest Linux system to start with?
> Ok, I will stop there as I do not want to overwhelm with too many
> questions. Thank you in advance for any and all answers.
>

__________________________________________________________
Penny Stock Soaring 3000%
Sign up for Free to find out what the next 3000% Stock Winner Is!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4bc86128a2fb82a571fst04vuc

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment