Friday, April 16, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Greetings from a total newbie

 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

dawnyisrael13 wrote:
> Greetings to everyone. I am hoping to find answers to questions
> about Linux. I have been searching off and on for computers that are
> preloaded with Linux and tried to contact companies that are suppose
> to have Linux loaded computers and have become extremely frustrated
> in my quest. First, I am a former Mac person. My old iMac got too
> old and full and when I went out to try to find a replacement, I of
> course came up very short of enough change to purchase another one.
> So, I had an a knowledge of Linux out there and have been looking for
> a laptop preloaded with Linux. Frustrating to the Max! I have found
> them, but some information I read says to maybe avoid at this time.
> Soooo, my question is, would it be best for me to just go ahead and
> buy some affordable laptop and then obtain a version of Linux and
> load it myself?? If so, are some brands more compatible with doing
> this than others? What is the easiest Linux system to start with?
> Ok, I will stop there as I do not want to overwhelm with too many
> questions. Thank you in advance for any and all answers.
>

There is a small but useful 'cottage industry' of people who install
Linux on older, but mechanically sound laptops, that would be too slow
for Windows OS, but that run great on Linux Distros.

I just installed Mint on an older (two years) laptop for my sister, last
week... runs like a rocket. She acquired the laptop from a friend, who
said it was 'busted', for free.

The only thing wrong with it was the Windows XP OS had crashed fatally,
and was unrecoverable.

Try browsing:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=linux+laptop&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Also, CraigsList.Org in your area might be a good resource.

- --
- -wittig
http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with CentOS - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEVAwUBS8glk/9qkhAVPSgqAQL0iQgAherf90dKzBf7CBMKhj51lgWgFJaOrJaU
Rx5FxYd+QavIowO2Ps0rBetiiAHShaVo/p2ZXbBBVjH4KaiQGYsEOVApi17Cy6wX
JZer5d4HNA4j1nwdrL7sjgibXQeI1hSsl5JUVPy5HtPhQmOz3sYmlGbGdwqLFBJU
rJv4UyuXHYgzxNVJgRPKlL2gtnlGYcdE95WX2LZGto0PDMZVOigxsPNXPz0iAD/Y
ehsvDgT2WxF+U3Y8j0eNPq8Fzkv+vMSimmUmQnTO00+RJt+iitpKSMK7fLDtSeK8
gqFwZxR/Hw8sler9R+XGBqnghwckmmoGrRtSqEEW2zJVm9gcLgxBMA==
=wpjI
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment