Thursday, July 22, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] VB issue, was Re: usb to serial converters

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, James Jolin <jjolin@...> wrote:
>
> On 07/20/2010 05:14 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> >
> >
> > On 20Jul2010 16:09, James Jolin <jjolin@...
> > <mailto:jjolin%40itol.com>> wrote:
> > | On 07/20/2010 03:58 PM, Joan Leach wrote:
> > | > Most likely you'll have to have some RS-232 Serial device plugged in
> > | > before it will be seen. Then you might have to load some programs that
> > | > will use it. Is it a printer, modem, or some specialized device?
> > |
> > | Joan,
> > | I have the converter plugged in and connected to one of my radios (a
> > | Uniden Scanner), Unfortunately, the programs I want to run are all
> > | Windows programs. I have tried to run them with Wine, but so far no luck.
> >
> > After you plug (or unplug) the USB device, does a relevant message
> > appear at the bottom of the output of the "dmesg" command?
> > --
> > Cameron Simpson <cs@... <mailto:cs%40zip.com.au>> DoD#743
> > http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/
> Cameron,
> Thanks for that tip...yes it is detected and undetected. It is attached
> to ttyUSB0. I will do some more experimenting to see if I can get VB to
> see it.
> Jim
>
I don't mean to hijack here Jim but I have a somewhat similar issue with VBox that I can't resolve. Maybe the answer to mine will help you.
Running XP in VB, my virtual machine doesn't recognize any peripherals. I would love to be able to transfer files (mp3's and such) from my virtual machine which handles the XP-only apps to my Linux machine. It seems that the free version doesn't allow the virtual machine to recognize peripheral drives by design but surely there's a workaround.
Mark
Linux Mint 6, Felicia

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment