Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Booting from external hard drive

 

Maybe this:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
==EasyBSD bootloader

Maybe it's a Grub1 on USB versus Grub2 on master boot record thing?

Joan in Reno

--- On Wed, 7/14/10, frnk.newman <liverpoolscousermarch@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

From: frnk.newman <liverpoolscousermarch@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Booting from external hard drive
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 11:16 AM

 

Hi folks,

Although a relative newbie, I can usually sort out most problems myself, with the help of Google. However, I have googled this particular problem till my eyes are near to bleeding!

Up to a few days ago, I was running a dual boot with XP on my first hard drive (though hardly ever using it) and Mint Elyssa on the second.

I have now changed the second hard drive for a larger one and installed Mint 9 Isadora on it. I backed up all of my data and set up a separate home partition. Everything is running smoothly and I am delighted with it.

Now to the problem - the hard drive I removed has gone into a USB enclosure and still contains Elyssa. I want to be able to boot from this drive on occasion. I have tried searching for info on changing the MBR, setting up a fresh grub install etc. I have tried using grub-install from a terminal but this doesn't seem to find the drive (although it does show, both within my Mint 9 and when I run from a live CD). I also tried supergrubdisk but couldn't find anything that helped.

I know that my computer is capable of running from an external hard drive as I successfully installed a KDE version of Mint 9 on another hard drive to try it out. But that was a fresh install from scratch - this time I have an OS that I don't want to lose as yet. I'm sure I'm missing something very simple but would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment