Thursday, July 22, 2010

[nslu2-linux] Migrating to SlugOS from Unslung

 

Hi All,
I'm new to the list, so I'll briefly introduce myself - I'm an experienced mac user, with limited unix skills - a bit unfamiliar to linux though. I've been previously using unslung, but have moved to slugos because of the more recent kernel, with better USB support in particular.

I'm struggling to set up a standalone (turboslug) NSLU2 system using SlugOS.
My goal is rather basic:
• full ftp for administration
• jailed afp for copying media across and as a simple file server
• zeroconf/bonjour discovery of afp served files
• MPD for media playback through a (supported) USB audio dongle, which I control via an app from an iPod touch.

I followed the setup (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem), but was confused by the difference between ipkg and opkg - seems to have more up to date builds, so I have been using ipkg almost exclusively.

Every package I install from ipkg (avahi, netatalk, vsftpd, etc) all seem to have no startup daemon setup, and have virtually no configuration.

I am trying to keep it as simple as possible, so I am trying to avoid using inetd or xinetd for performance - is this unwise, and could this be the source of my grief? Most of the material on the wiki relates to unslung setups.

In short - how do I set vsftpd, mpd, avahi, netatalk, dbus-daemon to start up at boot? What is the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help. Once setup, I will try to contribute to the wiki a how-to.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment