Monday, July 26, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Casual usability test

 

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:54, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Good points Jeff--in the early morning, I accidently deleted your email,
> rather than hitting reply--this is mutt, which doesn't let me get it
> back. As for Prague and Poland they're both 6 letter words beginning
> with P and both in Europe, just like New York and Nebraska, basically
> the same thing. :)

Hahaha! Touche...

> It isn't the lack of codecs begin available out of the box that I
> consider a really weak point. Ubuntu's manner of handling it is
> excellent, saying you need these, they're not free, do you want to do
> it. If it actually worked after doing it, it would, of course, be
> better, but as you mention, the whole pesky legal thing probably makes
> it necessary to use totem instead of mplayer or vlc.

Not sure what you mean by "if it actually worked after doing it".
I've never had an issue playing things (that I remember off hand at
least) after installing things from the restricted repos. It may,
however, be a DRM issue more than a Quicktime Format issue. I can
play Quicktime Format videos with sound just fine... but there may be
a DRM version that Apple uses/pushes that breaks that, and in that
case, there's nothing we can really do about it (short of violating
the DMCA).

> I actually consider the printer issue to be more serious. The
> theoretical LCD user sees that their printer is installed with a driver.
> Now, in MS and Apple, that means it works. In this case though, it
> doesn't scan--that's why I feel PCLinuxOS' method indicates better
> design. (PCLinuxOS is an offshoot of Mandriva, so I suspect Mandriva
> does it the same way.)

Printer drivers != Scanner drivers. In Linux, these multi-function
devices are not treated as a single device. Your Printer/Scanner is
actually considered a Printer and a Scanner, and require two different
drivers. I do agree with you though, that scanner drivers are
seriously lacking. Scanner support has come a long way, but still has
far to go, whereas printers do generally work at least as basic
ghostscript/postscript devices.

My advice to you is buy hardware that works ;-P

Seriously though, I have the same issue with my negative scanner. I
have to hook it up to windows when I want to do anything really tasty
with it, though I did manage to find a working SANE driver through a
random Japanese website I found via Google, so I can now at least
partially use it in Linux.

Now to print out my transit vouchers so I can get back to the airport
Wed Morning...

Cheers,

Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment