Saturday, July 6, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mounting the floppy drive

 


--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, James Jolin <james.jolin@> wrote:
> >
> > Loyal,,
> > No I looked at /dev with midnight commander. I do see the floppy in /etc/fstab. I will run the mount command and see what happens.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM, loyal_barber <loyal_barber@> wrote:
> >
> > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, James Jolin <james.jolin@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I am using Mint 13 and I tried to mount the floppy using the mount command. The floppy is in the media directory, but not in the dev directory. In fact there is not any devices in the dev directory. I think I've forgotten some basic linux stuff. Need someone to quick start my brain.
> > > > Jim wa9arb
> > > > <snip>
> > >
> > > When you checked for devices under /dev, did you use a command similar to the following:
> > >
> > > sudo ls /dev
> > >
> > > There are always entries under /dev. I have not used a floppy in a while but I believe they are listed as /dev/fd*. However another
> > > way you can check given that it shows up as mounted under /media
> > > is just the command "mount" which will tell you everything mounted currently.
> > >
> > > Hope this is what you are looking for.
> > >
> > > Loyal
>
> try
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
> Assuming your floppy is formatted with FAT12. It doesn't have to be, but there is a fair chance it is.
>
> You should be able to fdisk the floppy device first to check what filesystem type it is.
>
> fdisk -l /dev/fd0
>
> Should print out what fdisk thinks is going on. I'd try it out to be sure but none of the systems I run have floppy drives in them anymore. The last time I tried to use a floppy all of the drives I had were messed up from age. I couldn't get one drive to read a disk I'd written in another one. Since then I have not bothered with the things myself.
>

Hello,

Would it matter how Linux sees the floppy if it was in an external USB kind of drive? Also how does Linux handle USB ZIP or LS-120 floppies? Maybe others would like to know?

Thanks,
Joan in Reno

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment