Thursday, July 4, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Twice the same program

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "C. Beck" <usabecker@...> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM, highskywhy@... <highskywhy@...> wrote:
> > Good morning
> > as far as I as newbie
> > understood Linux
> > is it possible to install
> > twice
> > Firefox
> > or
> > Claws
> > or any other programme?
> >
>
> It is possible, but probably not a very good idea for you to try. You
> have me curious though; Why would you want to do this?
>

I do it so I have two programs on a system with different features. Often of different versions. The version my distribution has sometimes is not the one that I want.

The Linux Standard Base (LSB) is designed to accommodate doing this in fact with /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin, now /opt too. So I suppose it is not too far fetched.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment