Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grep questions

 

Good afternoon
Mi Jul 10 15:46:14 2013
Thank You for help.

> | > Please configure your mail reader to indent the quoted material.
> | *
> | How can I do this?
>
> That depends on your mailer. But you seem to have done it for this
message.
*
The problem was
I deleted to much >>>>>
so it is better to read.
I am sorry.

> Have you changed something? Your email is easier to read than it used
to be.
*
I deleted the >>> sometimes.
That was the problem.

> | > Picking your reply text out of mine or others' is very difficult.
> | > Observe that in this message the quite text is indented with a
> | > marker character down the side, making it easy to distinguish the
> | > new text.
> | *
> | How can I produce a marker in the email?
>
> Again, you seem to be doing so already. Normally a mailer will make
> these markers for you. Then you just walk down the message, removing
> irrelevant stuff and replying to the other parts as necessary.
*
Thunderbird did
but I deleted it to save space.
I am sorry.

>
> | > The root, "/", is the top of the filesystem tree. Everything can be
> found
> | > from there by descending into subdirectories.
> | >
> | > Your "home" directory is the working directory you start with when
> | > you log in, and is a special area set aside in the system for _your_
> | > files. It is owned by you, and you can do what you like inside it.
> | *
> | So when I am searching
> | file
> | which I wrote by myself
> | I should start
> | grep in the home-directory, is this right?
>
> Yes.
*
Thanks.

> | > Of you look at your $PATH variable by going:
> | > echo $PATH
> | echo $PATH
> |
>
/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
> |
> | I did it
> | but the result is confusing me:
> | I opened the terminal:
> | echo $PATH
> |
> | > you will see a list of directories, separated by colons.
> | > Program files like in those directories.
> | So I should copy a compiled file
> | or a shell file
> | in one of these directories?
>
> Yes, but normally you would have a directory of your own for this
purpose.
*
But then I have to connect this directory to the path command.
Example: I create shell files and I save them in my directory: dailytodo.

>
> | What directory should I use for own files?
>
> Normally, $HOME/bin. So:
>
> - log in
> - type "pwd" to check that you are in you home directory
> - type "mkdir bin" to create a directory called "bin" in your home
> directory
*
Is it better for not confuse myself to name it mybin
?

>
> Then you need to put $HOME/bin into your $PATH.
>
> You can do this by running the command:
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
> export PATH
*
Thank You.

Then Linux is searching
when I give comand like dothisnow
in the
directory
bin or mybin
for
dothisnow.sh.

?

> That does it only for the shell you ran it in.
*
This does mean
I close the terminal
and Linux will forget it.

>
> To make it permanent, you would put that same command in your
> .bash_profile (if your login shell is bash, which is probable). The
> command:
>
> echo $SHELL
*
Thank You.
>
> should tell you which shell you have.
>
> | > Normally there will be a "bin" directory in your own home directory,
> | > eg "/home/name/bin", at the start of your $PATH. This lets you write
> | > your own commands and have somewhere to put them.
> | *
> | So I should use:
> | /home/name/bin.
>
> Yes.
*
Thank You.
>
> | > | Ist home where the data files are?
> | >
> | > Your home directory is where your files live, be they data or
> | > program. "/home" is a common convention for where the user home
> | > directories are stored.
> | So
> | maybe this is computer1 with user1.
> | When I start using user2, then there will be a new home directory.
> | Where using
> | Linux
> | Xubuntu
> | Siduction
> | is the place for
> | create a second user?
>
> Yes. So there would be a /home/user1 for user1's files, and a
> /home/user2 for user2's files.
*
Thank You
Regards
Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (21)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment