Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Dumping Microsoft!

 

If your main interest is to escape windows with as little effort as
possible I would recommend you first try a live boot of Kubuntu. It is
simply a Debian Distro that comes with all the popular software already
to go. If you choose to make it bootable, get an extra drive to load
the Kubuntu system. Most modern Motherboards will permit you to
enable/HDD's and select boot devices from BIOS. A usb connected drive
will likely work but there is a terrible performance handicap for the OS
if you want to compare the speeds of linux/windows. Kubuntu is intended
to run from the GUI and you will not find a terminal mode available
unless you choose to install it.

I you wish to become proficient with Linux in general, it is not a good
choice because it is ready to go simply by installing.
FWIW, I am a newby with "Learn Linux" as a goal.

On 7/2/2013 1:33 PM, tbarbour2001 wrote:
>
> After more than 20 years of growing antipathy toward Microsoft, I am
> ready to bail!
>
> I have a Dell laptop with XP that's growing long in the tooth, which I
> have been relatively happy with for ten years or so, and a one-year
> old cheap desktop with Win 7, which I do not like, as MS had removed
> many of the useful features I liked in XP. They don't play well
> together on the same WiFi network.
>
> I've used Win 8, and I would not spend a dime to upgrade to it from
> anything!
>
> I see two choices: buy MacIntosh or convert both current machines to
> Linux.
>
> I do consider myself computer-literate, but I'm afraid I may be
> suffering from too much Microsoftening of the head.
>
> My Linux plan would be to first convert the desktop, but keep all my
> current work on the laptop, then when comfortable, put all mu current
> work on the desktop, and finally, convert the laptop.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice, especially from those who have made the
> conversion.
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> Tom Barbour
>
>

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
"The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails."
William A. Ward

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment