Sunday, December 18, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Build from "scratch", LOL

 

Hi!
I'm new to the group. I'm 65 years old, medically retired and have brain problems in remembering or understanding what is verbally said
or written. I'm not looking for pity, just help with Linux. Here's the deal:

I'm looking to build a Linux computer from scratch. I have an old Asus P-5 board with dual core(?) and 2 GHz of RAM. I want to put something ham radio related, like Kbuntu. It has programs on it for digital and control operations for my Icom 706 MarkII-G transceiver. If any of you are ham operators give me a "shout" at my email address at:

KA5(dot)LQJ(@)gmail(dot)com.

Now, I'd like to put the board and all the other goodies CD recorder/player, DVD player/recorder, 5¼" floppy, 3½" floppy and space for two, 500 Gig hard drives in a full tower case with at
least a 500 watt power supply, 800 watts would be better. For now,
I'll stick with the on-board audio and video.

I'd LIKE to put M$ DOS 6.22 on the 2nd hard drive and Kbuntu on the 1st. I have an old DOS database program that I dearly love, "File Express 5.1" and it does everything I need, except print in "landscape" (sideways), LOL! So, I'll use it and never print-out the information, he,he,he.

I have some spreadsheets in WIN XP HOME, but that O/S is riddled with security "holes", so I won't be using it on the new computer. I have an old Dell Dimension 2400 for that.

I don't have copious wads of money, so I need to get by with just 'quality', not cheap or expensive parts. I'm not sure how many fans
I'll need but enough to keep the chassis cool.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time in reading my rattling on.

GOD BLESS,
Best Regard,
Brother Don/ MD2AU368

"Joyeaux Noël!" <== Merry Christmas in Acadian(Cajun)French

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment