Sunday, December 18, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] N00Bie Here.....

 

Puppy is a good choice for low RAM, but it is not the most full
featured and while it can be installed to HD where it really shines is
running from RAM on a usb stick where you do not want to or need to
install additional packages. I have nothing against Puppy. It does not
come with much and installation of other packages is limiting IMO.

If I was in that position, I would look at Vector Linux (XFCE on
Slackware base) Crunchbang (openbox on a Debian base), AntiX (Fluxbox
on MEPIS/ Debian-testing base), Bodhi Linux (E17 on Ubuntu 10.04 but
compiled for low processors) or Lubuntu (LXDE on Ubuntu core). All
require 128 MBs or less. All work well and are meant for daily desktop
use.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada

On 18 December 2011 09:59, c beck <usabecker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whether GB or MB, they did mention having a separate HD from which they
> were intending to install linux.  There's several options even with the
> smaller size, but puppy linux may be best if hoping to find click-n-go
> support for less common software packages as it is supposed to be dpkg
> compatable now I believe.
>
> sent from a mobile device
> On Dec 18, 2011 8:21 AM, "dvdpst" <dvdposton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> Roy, I think he meant GB. Wasn't IBM the first with an HD of only 3 GB?
>> No, I take that back. I think it was 500 MB. I know it was small as OS/2
>> didn't need that much space.
>>
>> david
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > You can be of help to some Linux users here when it comes to Ham Radio on
>> > Linux help.
>> >
>> > There are a few distros that will run on your computer. Are you sure that
>> > the drive is 120 MBs of HD? Hopes of dual booting are slim to nil if that
>> > is the case. If you meant GBs then we can breath a sigh of relief and
>> help
>> > with dual booting.
>> >
>> > Roy
>> >
>> > Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
>> > Location: Canada
>> >
>> >
>> > On 17 December 2011 23:07, ka5lqj <ka5.lqj@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > > **
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Hi,
>> > >
>> > > I've finally had enough of all I can stand of spyware, bots,
>> > > browser grabbers, crudware and MICRO$OFT.
>> > >
>> > > I have an old Dell 2400 with 256 megs of RAM. The hard drive
>> > > is a 120 meg with only 27% used. I'd like to dual boot the
>> > > machine (I have another hard drive the same size - 120 megs.
>> > > I'm thinking this SHOULD be enough for what I want to do with
>> > > it, LOL!
>> > >
>> > > As you can see by my return e-maul (flame)address, I'm a
>> > > licensed Amateur radio (Morse code) operator and have been for
>> > > 32 years now. I cut my computer "teeth' on a Commodore 64
>> > > with DOS 1.0, so I'm used to command prompts. I went with the
>> > > IBM 'knock-off' machines up to DOS 6.22, then was forced to use
>> > > Windows.
>> > >
>> > > My "part-time work", I'm medically retired and handicapped,
>> > > requires me to still use Windows XP Home, But, for my ham stuff,
>> > > I can use Linux (Xbuntu?).
>> > >
>> > > Where I live in Louisiana, there aren't any linux users, it ALL
>> > > done with WINBLOW$ and a couple of RISC machines down at the
>> > > Sheriff's office.
>> > >
>> > > I have "FREE" long distance, so if anyone could help me to get
>> > > the O/S loaded, peaked out, and running, I'd greatly appreciate
>> > > it. I can 'phone you so I cost you nothing but some time.
>> > >
>> > > Thank you for your time,
>> > > Respectfully submitted,
>> > > Don
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > ------------------------------------
>> >
>> > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
>> > LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo!
>> > Groups Links
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment