Friday, December 2, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Need smallest OS

 

Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS is very, very stable and fantastic for these and
should work with legacy hardware. Great easy as pie step by step install
here...
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

5Gigs is tiny today and should be just under the wire to get an install
done which I believe requires 4Gigs.

NOTE I found the mistake was to use the Netbook Editions on
Notebook/Laptops that actually work with the desktop version. I have
used Debian, Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 and 11.04, and Linux Mint which has
really become popular all on a Toshiba Notebook just fine. They all
installed and ran as expected.

NOTE Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS is Long Term Support until year 2013. The
next Ubuntu 12.04 LTS soon will be attended for 5 years.

My vote is Ubuntu and is about most popular now and of course Debian is
always number one and a tad advanced. The Ubuntu LTS releases - distros
- have proven to be most stable with immediate bug fixes / security
updates. Again, and of course Debian seems always on top of the game.

On 12/01/2011 01:12 AM, dallas p wrote:
> I have an old laptop with a 5G hard drive. I would like to install a linux OS. I have not used Linux in over 10 years. I would like some suggestions as to which one to load and a place to download a bootable cd. I have lots of time to experiment now, I just need the starting point. I have an old Dell that works pretty darn good, but Windows XP and all the updates, are way too much for it. Looking forward to hearing all suggestions.
> Thanks so much, Peggie
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment