Sunday, December 18, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] N00Bie Here.....

 

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 04:07:04AM -0000, ka5lqj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally had enough of all I can stand of spyware, bots,
> browser grabbers, crudware and MICRO$OFT.

Greetings OM; you're on the right track for sanity..

Will snip and annotate below with the disclaimer that all IMHO..
Many will disagree..

> I have an old Dell 2400 with 256 megs of RAM. The hard drive
> is a 120 meg with only 27% used. I'd like to dual boot the
> machine (I have another hard drive the same size - 120 megs.
> I'm thinking this SHOULD be enough for what I want to do with
> it, LOL!

You didn't mention the CPU; important for many GUI apps.. 120mB is
larger than any HD I have with most 40mB to 80mB but, of course, I don't
know how bad M$'s bloat is.. If you're into heavy video streaming and
storage--different ball game and old machines not up to snuff..

> As you can see by my return e-maul (flame)address, I'm a
> licensed Amateur radio (Morse code) operator and have been for
> 32 years now. I cut my computer "teeth' on a Commodore 64
> with DOS 1.0, so I'm used to command prompts. I went with the
> IBM 'knock-off' machines up to DOS 6.22, then was forced to use
> Windows.

If you want to use Linux for Ham Radio you'll be disappointed as the
Ham community is definately in bed with M$ with some sparce exceptions..
Windows is still DOS of course as we know.. IMHO again, and maybe support
has changed lately..

> My "part-time work", I'm medically retired and handicapped,
> requires me to still use Windows XP Home, But, for my ham stuff,
> I can use Linux (Xbuntu?).

Ubuntu #1 but I've had issues trying it with older machines.. Some
suggested Puppy Linux a good choice because you can run as a live CD to
check things out.. An excellent distribution along with it's many
knockoff's; Wary and SlackO come to mind.. Be forewarned though that it's
not good as a *nix tutorial.. For that you may need Slackware the grandaddy
of them all.. Many will say Debian and be correct but, again IMHO, that
distrib is not for a beginner.. The latest version of Slax 6.1.2 runs as a
live CD and uses many Slackware packages.. IIRC, I had it running on a 90's
machine with a 233mHz CPU and 160mB Ram.. Fetch and burn some to try.. (You
didn't mention your major use.)

> Where I live in Louisiana, there aren't any linux users, it ALL
> done with WINBLOW$ and a couple of RISC machines down at the
> Sheriff's office.

M$ excellent with their marketing.. Fairly normal.. Only the Super
Computers run Linux/*nix over 90% of the time... If your neighbours run
tablets or iPad/iPhone; Android or BSD; both Linux... HI.. Mention to them
that their toaster is, no doubt, Linux...

> I have "FREE" long distance, so if anyone could help me to get
> the O/S loaded, peaked out, and running, I'd greatly appreciate
> it. I can 'phone you so I cost you nothing but some time.

Again, IMHO, dialogue on this site may help others, plus the written
word sinks in better; again IMHO... :^).. In my case hard of hearing
eliminates the telephone.. Mighten as you go along you'll find someone that
could be an Elmer via the landline??

> Thank you for your time,
> Respectfully submitted,
> Don

I'm sure we're all here to help or confuse as the case may be..

Vy 73 de W8MCH..

--
Hal UNIX-GNU/Linux; Slackware 13.0 kernel 2.6.29.6-JFS
www.asciiribbon.org

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment