Sunday, December 11, 2011

Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: MPD streaming AAC FLV

 

Brief response for general audiences, then taking this offline:

Incoming: I am streaming live mp3 encoded "broadcasts" via MPD, and then out to a USB audio dongle -> amp + speakers.  This is straightforward and thoroughly documented in many places.

Outgoing: I also have the ability to take playlists in MPD and use them to feed MP3s to an Icecast server for streaming mp3s in my collection to anything capable of consuming an MP3 stream.  This second option was no easy task, since most streaming options are limited, with MPD typically transcoding the MP3s for streaming - something the NSLU is effectively incapable of without an FPU.  I finally ran across some Perl scripts that allowed me to cobble a solution together using ices as the glue between MPD and Icecast.  This solution basically just dumps the MP3 to Icecast without any transcoding.

These links describe the solution in adequate detail:

http://wiki.yobi.be/wiki/Webradio
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Hack:ices-client
http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php?n=Main.IcecastOnTheNSLU2

No idea if the PS3 can consume an Icecast stream or not.  I use pyTivo on my NSLU to share music within my home network of TiVos.

Side note (from my original ask): The radio station broadcasting the FLV stream with the AAC encoding also has a straight AAC encoded stream (no FLV container).  Silly me for not looking for that first.  The Slug w/MPD is perfectly capable of decoding AAC without running out of processor cycles.



On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:51 PM, gopher3_8 <gopher38@hotmail.com> wrote:

I'm trying to stream radio also, but in my case it's through medaitomb to a PS3. When you say that you're "streaming mp3 encoded audio", are you talking about files or live streams? I'd read about people streaming radio through MPD, but I thought that is was just out to a USB speaker. Unfortunately, I can't help you with your question, but could you tell me more about your set up? Maybe I should be using that instead of mediatomb? Thanks.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment