Wednesday, June 13, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: debian 6

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 07:43:58PM -0000, Alan wrote:
> > hi group
> >
> >
> > i have installed debian 6 on my thin client, and i log in as my user name and password.
> >
> > i need to run in terminal window the following command....
> >
> > sudo make install
> >
> > i get prompted for my password, i enter my user password and am told that i am not in the sudouser file?????????
> >
>
> My guess is that you're used to Ubuntu. Debian (as well as a few other
> systems), do it somewhat differently. When you did your install, I
> would guess that you created a root user. You might have then created a
> second user. This user doesn't automatically get sudo privilege.
>
> You will have to su to root, then edit the /etc/sudoers file. I'm not
> sure how Debian does it by default. Many systems have a line, commented
> out, that will give all privileges to member of the wheel group, Then,
> you can uncomment that line, (by removing the # in front of it) and
> adding your username to wheel like so
>
>
> usermod -G wheel -a john
>
> (If your username was john.)
>
> This is assuming that Debian has that line in its /etc/sudoers file and
> that a wheel group exists. It may be that they have a group sudoers, or
> admin (which is what I think Ubuntu uses) that has a similar line.
>

I didn't know you could edit the sudoers with a plain text editor. I thought that was what visudo was for?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment