Friday, June 15, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: What I've been up to with Linux lately

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
> For gaming try the latest Ubuntu. The Software centre includes many games
> not available in other distros as Canonical is working closely with
> gaming companies like Electronic Arts and Humble Indie Bundle. Steam for
> Linux is supposedly on its way later this year.
>
> Paul,
>
> The conversation re: Debian 6 is going nowhere. I have said two times, so
> this is the third, my ethernet card works with every distro but Debian 6

No matter how many times you say it you won't change wrong to right. Your Ethernet Adapter works with Debian, you just cannot manage to make it do so. I've told you how.

> and I have tried literally hundreds of distros.

That's nice. I've run Linux for over 17 years now. Who's p*ssing higher up the pole?

It is an OTB Realtek. The
> problem is not the hardware. It is Debian. BTW, it worked with Debian 5 so
> they made it not work by removing the binary blobs. That is okay by me. But
> they did not provide a way to get them that was workable. That left me out
> in the cold as far as Debian 6 went. The fault lies with Debian, not me or
> my card (which is one of the most common cards on the market). My
> conclusion is that they are putting ideology ahead of people. That is why
> Debian has been relegated to a has been distro. I don't know how I could
> conclude otherwise.

Maybe if you did not run a distribution based on Debian your words would carry more weight? You run a monkeyed with Debian. End of story. I must assume you need your dope OS cut, and cannot hack it yourself in the pure state.

They do not care about users. They said as much when I
> contacted them. They told me to buy a new card. How is that helpful?
>

I wasn't there so I don't know what lead to that unfortunate exchange. I've some idea how it transpired though based on what you are writing now.

> I appreciate that people are zealous about freedom, but somewhere the
> rubber must reach the road. In order to be successful, you must start where
> people are and move them along gradually. The reality is that most people
> have non-free hardware. You cannot cut them off cold turkey and expect then
> to be happy about it.

What your argument basically boils down to is simply this, you don't want Debian to properly classify code based on what it is in reality. Non-free closed source is not in Debian's main repository at all in any way, shape, or form. You are trying to fault Debian for doing their job too well. Others of us appreciate the fine work that the Debian maintainers do.

You actually do too, you just don't know it. Mr. Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit

All Ubuntu, and Ubuntu spin offs are based on Debian. Any distribution that uses the dpkg package management system is based on Debian. dpkg = Debian PacKaGe manager.

$ man dpkg

dpkg(1) dpkg suite dpkg(1)

NAME
dpkg - package manager for Debian

>
> Roy

P.S. I have to agree with your Roy you really have gone nowhere with this conversation. In fact I'd have to say you're losing credibility with each post.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment