Wednesday, June 13, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: What I've been up to with Linux lately

 


Good morning,

I am fascinated that you are playing old games like Quake using Linux.
So, how would I go about doing so, or is it possible to take some old
games that were for my old iMac and adapt them to play on a linux
system? I have Ubuntu latest download. Or would I need a specific
version of linux that is better for gaming?

You all are the best and have helped me a lot with my questions. I
should be a bit more active on the forum I guess. I read the posts but
sometimes feel a bit imtimidated to ask my newbie type questions. So,
now you have one, please be kind as I am still learning and have a very
long way to go.

Thank you

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> I guess there aren't too many Newbies. We must have brought them along
to
> by veteran users.
>
> I am glad that you like Debian. I am assuming that it is version 6. I
could
> not get it to work. It would not support my ethernet card and there is
not
> way to download one without it. Dumb.
>
> I liked KDE 3.5, but have moved on to KDE 4. Trinity is the KDE
version of
> Mate. I can't understand the logic. These projects are killed for
valid
> reasons. The language in which they are written are dead ended by the
> project. That means you are being superseded on every application and
are
> either losing features or losing applications themselves as
> the developers abandon it for the newer version of QT. You have to
REALLY
> like it to want to use it.
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>
> On 12 June 2012 12:26, Paul pfrederick1@... wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > No one is posting much lately so I'll just ramble a bit about some
of my
> > recent Linux doings here.
> >
> > A few months back I got a new (to me) computer and I set it up as my
junk
> > garage system. It is the first dual monitor system I've ever had, so
I am a
> > total newbie in that regard. Today other than blue people on YouTube
all of
> > that seems fine to me. I sure hope that gets fixed someday.
> >
> > I set this box up with Debian GNU/Linux and I'd like to share a
strategy
> > I've been employing with some success lately in regards to doing
that. What
> > it boils down to essentially is don't be afraid of the "expert"
install. I
> > think the stuff is poorly named. I'm no expert and it works for me.
I think
> > it'd be better if they called it the custom install, or something.
> >
> > Going "expert", picking nothing, then installing packages I want
once the
> > machine is running yields me a system more to my liking than going
with a
> > regular install and choosing the desktop environment. Now I'm not
saying
> > the package manager hasn't dragged in a bunch of cruft I don't want,
but
> > there is less of it than regular installs leave me with.
> >
> > It does help to be somewhat familiar with Linux though, and know
what one
> > wants in order to do this. Maybe that is what they mean by expert? I
don't
> > know. Not really my take on what expert means but I'm not going to
argue
> > semantics.
> >
> > My really big mod with this system has been running the Trinity KDE
> > desktop on it. I've still some kinks to iron out there but overall
I'm
> > thrilled to have the desktop I want, as opposed to what is being
foisted
> > off on users today. I've never liked Gnome, and I don't care much
for the
> > new KDE. Without FOSS choice I'd be stuck running one or the other
now.
> > Smile, it'll grow on you, right?
> >
> > Nah, I'd rather have what I want.
> >
> > Anyhow, I put up an article on another site about some dual monitor
arms I
> > made for this box. Maybe someone here will get a kick out of looking
at
> > that.
> >
> >
http://www.instructables.com/id/Under-Shelf-Dual-Monitor-Support-Arms/
> >
> > Not really Linux related per se, but that is the Linux system I'm
talking
> > about here. Marvel at my dual display Quake Darkplaces engine
running on it:
> >
> > http://www.instructables.com/file/F1DW328H347FJ9O/?size=ORIGINAL
> >
> > Oh yeah! Die! Die! Die! Who says you can't game on Linux?
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment