Tuesday, June 12, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: What I've been up to with Linux lately

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> I guess there aren't too many Newbies. We must have brought them along to
> by veteran users.
>
> I am glad that you like Debian. I am assuming that it is version 6. I could
> not get it to work. It would not support my ethernet card and there is not
> way to download one without it. Dumb.
>
> I liked KDE 3.5, but have moved on to KDE 4. Trinity is the KDE version of
> Mate. I can't understand the logic. These projects are killed for valid
> reasons. The language in which they are written are dead ended by the
> project. That means you are being superseded on every application and are
> either losing features or losing applications themselves as
> the developers abandon it for the newer version of QT. You have to REALLY
> like it to want to use it.
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
> Location: Canada

Debian doesn't distribute binary blobs by default, so you have jump through some hoops in order to activate whatever hardware needs them in order to work. It is some nonsense so RMS can just drop in a CD and run Debian, or something. Then again I could blame the hardware manufacturers too. They could submit legitimate code to the kernel.

Searching for Debian non-free firmware should dredge up a number of links with different methods of dealing with it.

I really like that I have freedom of choice. Presently I have chosen not to adopt KDE 4 but stick with KDE 3.5 as I am not interested in what the KDE developers are doing now. I've all the applications and features I need.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment