Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] debian 6

 

Scott

Thanks for your reply, I will try that later, but Last night I discovered
whilst in the terminal window that I could change to root by issuing su
carriage return, root password, I then completed the install.

Another thing learnt with Linux.

Anyway once again thanks for your help.

Alan





-------Original Message-------

From: Scott
Date: 13/06/2012 04:03:31
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] debian 6


On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 07:43:58PM -0000, Alan wrote:
> hi group
>
>
> i have installed debian 6 on my thin client, and i log in as my user name
and password.
>
> i need to run in terminal window the following command....
>
> sudo make install
>
> i get prompted for my password, i enter my user password and am told that
i am not in the sudouser file?????????
>

My guess is that you're used to Ubuntu. Debian (as well as a few other
systems), do it somewhat differently. When you did your install, I
would guess that you created a root user. You might have then created a
second user. This user doesn't automatically get sudo privilege.

You will have to su to root, then edit the /etc/sudoers file. I'm not
sure how Debian does it by default. Many systems have a line, commented
out, that will give all privileges to member of the wheel group, Then,
you can uncomment that line, (by removing the # in front of it) and
adding your username to wheel like so

usermod -G wheel -a john

(If your username was john.)

This is assuming that Debian has that line in its /etc/sudoers file and
that a wheel group exists. It may be that they have a group sudoers, or
admin (which is what I think Ubuntu uses) that has a similar line.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Forrest: This is the burden we bear, brother. We have a gig that
would inevitably cause any girl living to think we are cool upon
cool. Yet, we must Clark Kent our way through the dating scene,
never to use our unfair advantage. Thank God we're pretty.




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment