Friday, June 15, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: What I've been up to with Linux lately

Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
Location: Canada
For gaming try the latest Ubuntu. The Software centre includes many games
not available in other distros as Canonical is working closely with
gaming companies like Electronic Arts and Humble Indie Bundle. Steam for
Linux is supposedly on its way later this year.

Paul,

The conversation re: Debian 6 is going nowhere. I have said two times, so
this is the third, my ethernet card works with every distro but Debian 6
and I have tried literally hundreds of distros. It is an OTB Realtek. The
problem is not the hardware. It is Debian. BTW, it worked with Debian 5 so
they made it not work by removing the binary blobs. That is okay by me. But
they did not provide a way to get them that was workable. That left me out
in the cold as far as Debian 6 went. The fault lies with Debian, not me or
my card (which is one of the most common cards on the market). My
conclusion is that they are putting ideology ahead of people. That is why
Debian has been relegated to a has been distro. I don't know how I could
conclude otherwise. They do not care about users. They said as much when I
contacted them. They told me to buy a new card. How is that helpful?

I appreciate that people are zealous about freedom, but somewhere the
rubber must reach the road. In order to be successful, you must start where
people are and move them along gradually. The reality is that most people
have non-free hardware. You cannot cut them off cold turkey and expect then
to be happy about it.

Roy

On 14 June 2012 22:39, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > It is a bad strategy. I would rather switch to a distro that works than
> > spend money uselessly. My hardware works with every other distro. They
> have
> > me pegged wrong.
> > I am not a zealot. I am a computer user.
> > Roy
>
> You don't get it. You don't have to spend any money. You've already done
> that. You have to be aware. That you haven't tried yet.
>
> When it comes to freedom color me a zealot.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment