Thursday, June 14, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: What I've been up to with Linux lately

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <dawnyisrael13@...> wrote:
>
>
> Good morning,
>
> I am fascinated that you are playing old games like Quake using Linux.
> So, how would I go about doing so, or is it possible to take some old
> games that were for my old iMac and adapt them to play on a linux
> system? I have Ubuntu latest download. Or would I need a specific
> version of linux that is better for gaming?
>
> You all are the best and have helped me a lot with my questions. I
> should be a bit more active on the forum I guess. I read the posts but
> sometimes feel a bit imtimidated to ask my newbie type questions. So,
> now you have one, please be kind as I am still learning and have a very
> long way to go.
>
> Thank you
>

Well, it isn't exactly old Quake I play. I play the DarkPlaces Quake engine, which is being developed today. Say hi to LordHavoc for me :)

I think with Ubuntu you could just aptitude install darkplaces and be on your way. I compile recent source and manually install it etc. Getting the Quake files is a bit tricky but there is a Quake HOWTO that explains how to do it.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Quake-HOWTO.html

Then there are about a billion maps and mods for Quake today.

Some of my favorites are:

Marcher (what the screen in the picture is from)
Quoth
Nehahra
Contract
5 Rivers

Remember there are no stupid questions, just people that stay dumb for not asking.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment