Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] What I've been up to with Linux lately

I guess there aren't too many Newbies. We must have brought them along to
by veteran users.

I am glad that you like Debian. I am assuming that it is version 6. I could
not get it to work. It would not support my ethernet card and there is not
way to download one without it. Dumb.

I liked KDE 3.5, but have moved on to KDE 4. Trinity is the KDE version of
Mate. I can't understand the logic. These projects are killed for valid
reasons. The language in which they are written are dead ended by the
project. That means you are being superseded on every application and are
either losing features or losing applications themselves as
the developers abandon it for the newer version of QT. You have to REALLY
like it to want to use it.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 12.04, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 12 June 2012 12:26, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> No one is posting much lately so I'll just ramble a bit about some of my
> recent Linux doings here.
>
> A few months back I got a new (to me) computer and I set it up as my junk
> garage system. It is the first dual monitor system I've ever had, so I am a
> total newbie in that regard. Today other than blue people on YouTube all of
> that seems fine to me. I sure hope that gets fixed someday.
>
> I set this box up with Debian GNU/Linux and I'd like to share a strategy
> I've been employing with some success lately in regards to doing that. What
> it boils down to essentially is don't be afraid of the "expert" install. I
> think the stuff is poorly named. I'm no expert and it works for me. I think
> it'd be better if they called it the custom install, or something.
>
> Going "expert", picking nothing, then installing packages I want once the
> machine is running yields me a system more to my liking than going with a
> regular install and choosing the desktop environment. Now I'm not saying
> the package manager hasn't dragged in a bunch of cruft I don't want, but
> there is less of it than regular installs leave me with.
>
> It does help to be somewhat familiar with Linux though, and know what one
> wants in order to do this. Maybe that is what they mean by expert? I don't
> know. Not really my take on what expert means but I'm not going to argue
> semantics.
>
> My really big mod with this system has been running the Trinity KDE
> desktop on it. I've still some kinks to iron out there but overall I'm
> thrilled to have the desktop I want, as opposed to what is being foisted
> off on users today. I've never liked Gnome, and I don't care much for the
> new KDE. Without FOSS choice I'd be stuck running one or the other now.
> Smile, it'll grow on you, right?
>
> Nah, I'd rather have what I want.
>
> Anyhow, I put up an article on another site about some dual monitor arms I
> made for this box. Maybe someone here will get a kick out of looking at
> that.
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Under-Shelf-Dual-Monitor-Support-Arms/
>
> Not really Linux related per se, but that is the Linux system I'm talking
> about here. Marvel at my dual display Quake Darkplaces engine running on it:
>
> http://www.instructables.com/file/F1DW328H347FJ9O/?size=ORIGINAL
>
> Oh yeah! Die! Die! Die! Who says you can't game on Linux?
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment