Sunday, September 9, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Debian Squeeze and Software Center

 

Just thought that I would post this warning for others who have installed
Debian Squeeze.

I'm only guessing, here. I did some Googling, but couldn't find any
corroboration, on this. However, I suspect that Squeeze's "Software
Center" (a more user friendly alternative to Synaptic) has a serious bug
that will wipe out your network connections (including, Internet), network
configuration programs, and, other important programs (such as the one for
modifying "Services").

This is, now, the second time in a few days that I am reinstalling Squeeze,
because of this. I've been using it since June, and have had precious few
problems with it. This has been the release that I've waited for.
However, I am very suspicious that Software Center is the culprit, because,
after I used it a few times, I hardly touched it, for months. That is,
until the other day when I began making heavy use of it. Then, while I was
using Aptitude to do some updates, the network connections disappeared.

Today, it happened while I was doing some of the reinstallations in
Software Center. I am currently doing another reinstallation, because
nothing I can think of (including using recovery on the installation disc)
seems to allow me to get anywhere near reinstalling the components -
whatever, those may actually be, apart from my guesses.

...Interesting.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment